Plastic surgery, cosmetic surgery, aesthetic surgery, cosmetic plastic surgery”these are just some of the common terms used to refer to that medical specialty that involves the correction, modification, restoration, and alteration of form and function. Derived from the Greek plastikos, the term plastic is used to mean “mold or shape.”
Under the general medical term comes two categories: plastic surgery (also cosmetic surgery) and re constructive surgery. While cosmetic surgery is performed to improve the patient’s appearance and self-esteem by reshaping the normal structures of the body, it is not normally covered by any health insurance as it is elective.
Reconstructive surgery, on the other hand, is conducted on abnormal body structures that have been caused by developmental abnormalities, congenital defects, infection, disease, trauma, and even tumors. These procedures are usually covered by health insurance.
How to find Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon
Plastic surgery is a long process that involves making a lot of choices. The first and most important of all these choices is finding a surgeon that you can trust. A reliable surgeon should not be difficult to find if you follow these steps:
- Check your doctor’s board certification. He should be a certified member of the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
- Check his cosmetic surgery experience by finding out if he is a certified member of ASAPS.
- Ensure that your surgeon performs surgeries at accredited facilities whether it be a hospital, an office-based facility, or a surgicenter.
- Check whether your doctor has operating privileges in the hospital or center where the surgery will be conducted.
- Ensure that your chosen doctor will conduct a thorough consultation prior to the procedure. This means having an extensive review of your medical history plus any existing conditions.
- Ask around from friends and family about a doctor’s rapport with his patients. His patient satisfaction rate should be above average or excellent.
Types of Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeries
Because the results of cosmetic or plastic surgery are life changing, making the decision to have surgery done is undoubtedly one major decision to make. Here at PlasticSurgeryAce.com, we try to make this part easier for you by presenting an easy-to-understand guide on choosing from a comprehensive list of available cosmetic surgery procedures. For easy understanding, we have broken down the list into four main categories:
- Breast Reshaping The most popular among the cosmetic surgery operations, this category includes breast enlargement, breast reduction, nipple correction, and breast uplift.
- Facial Surgery Nose reshaping, brow and neck lift, chin implant, eye bag removal, and ear reshaping are the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures done under this category.
- Body Reshaping If exercise and diet cannot help change or modify some parts of the body, one may choose from such procedures as liposuction, buttock implants, tummy tuck, and arm lift and reduction.
- Men’s Cosmetic Surgery Liposuction, nose and ear reshaping, and male chest reduction are just some of the cosmetic surgery procedures available for men.
Advantages, Disadvantages and Side Effects of Surgeries
With its increasing popularity nowadays, it seems that almost everyone is itching to go under the knife to get a better look and to conform to society’s standards. That should not be a surprise when cosmetic plastic surgery brings about a great deal of benefits and advantages. Here are just some of them:
- Correct physical defects. Regardless of whether these defects have been brought about by accident, by a tumor, or by a disease, cosmetic surgery can finally give you shot at living a normal life sans the embarrassment and humiliation.
- Enhance your self-image. Feeling good about how one looks definitely gives one confidence that one will need to be more sociable, get a better job, and try new things that will give one a great sense of well being.
- Become more emotionally confident. Many cosmetic surgery patients discover that they become more personable and outgoing after a successful operation.